Malick's Church and Cemetery
   Stained Glass Windows
   Historical Information
   Church Sanctuary
   Longing for a home of their own
 
 

 Church Sanctuary

 The Church building purchased in 1900 at the corner of Fourth and Vine, continued to show its wear and tear. By 1907 the roof was leaking badly, a new heating system was required and many members objected to putting more money into an old building. At a congregational  meeting it was decided to erect a new Church. Plans were drawn by Architect Edward F. Janke of Sunbury, and L.C. Shipe was hired to act as forman of operation.

The cornerstone of the Church was laid in 1909 by Rev. D.D. Lowery, then presiding elder. The auditorium and parsonage was constructed of hollow tile and brick veneer. The estimated cost was $9,500, but due to errors in the plans, changes had to be made, which caused considerable tension between architect and forman. This resulted in the Trustees' placing the entire responsibility in the hands of Mr. Shipe for completion. During construction of the Church, services of worship were held in the Northumberland County Courthouse, through the courtesy of the County Commissioners.

The Structures' cost when completed, amounted to over $16,000. The Church borrowed $13,000 (the extent of its credit). The Church was also loaned $2,500 without interest by the United Bretheren Extension Board.

Upon completion a Dedication Service was held on April 17, 1910. The Eastern Pennsylvania Annual Conference was held in the new Church in the Fall of 1910, with Bishop Weekly presiding. All of the above occured under the pastorate of Rev. S.L. Rhoads.

On October 16, 1913 the Administrative Board, under the guidance of Rev. M.H. Wert, adopted the duplex envelope system which put the finances of the Church on a better basis and began the process of debt reduction.

The pond in back of the Church continued to be a problem so the Trustees on May 14, 1915 purchased an additional plot of ground extending to the railroad property. They also purchased four houses on Vine Street at a cost of $4,400. With the increased property holdings and repairs it made a total indebtedness of the Church, in March 1916, was $17,637.50.

Rev. J. M. Walters served from 1916 to 1919. He suffered family sadness while in Sunbury, which is noted in the section on Ministers. Even with his discouragements and sadness, the Church continued to grow and at the end of his pastorate (along with the sale of two 30-foot lots on Fourth Street adjoining the railroad property for $1,500) the debt had been reduced to $13,565.

The membership was 294 when Rev. J.F. Brown came in 1919. In February 1920, three of the four properties on Vine Street were sold for $5,500. The people of the church worked diligently and raised $3,500 in cash, which took $9,000 off of the debt. On May 22, 1921 the balance of the $4,565 debt was cancelled on the day of their 25th anniversary, which they called "Victory Day". In the years ahead, some minor changes were made to the inside of the Church Sanctuary but basically it remained the same.

 
NEWS
 
 
 
 
© 2007 Otterbein United Methodist
Developed By Image One Technologies