Malick's Church and Cemetery
   Stained Glass Windows
   Historical Information
   Church Sanctuary
   Longing for a home of their own
 
 

 Longing for a Home of Their Own

From May 17, 1896, worship continued on the second floor of the Good Intent Fire Company. Hall rent was $2.50 per month. It is recorded that the collection at one service was 10 cents and the entire amount for the month was $1.05. Concerns other than financial problems existed as well. While religious services were being held on the second floor, there was often the rolling of beer kegs and boisterous talking on the first floor.

In a few years the small group of religous people began to long for a home of their own. The Trustees, Frank Rabuck, Albert Miller, John R. Jones, Henry A. Bartholomew and Charles C. Bartholomew, petitioned the Honorable C.R. Savidge, President Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Northumberland County, for a Charter which was granted on July 15, 1899.

They further decided to purchase two lots, near the Good Will Hose Company on Reagan Street making an initial payment of $25.00. This project was soon "thrown up" when the opportunity came on November 28, 1899 to purchase the property of the First United Evangelical Congregation, located at the corner of Fourth and Vine Streets, for $3,000. The property was heavily mortgaged, and those mortgages were transferred to the new owners. (The sale was consummated and the deed was transferred on November 2, 1900). This was an enourmous undertaking in view of the fact that the congregation numbered only 28 persons.

The facilties consisted of a church building and a frame dwelling, used as a parsonage with a frontage of 69 1/2 ft. on Vine Street and a depth of 100 feet on Fourth Street. In back of the church was a disease-breeding basin of stagnant water which plagued the church for years. However, in the next four years, the congregation grew from 28 to 121 members.

 
NEWS
 
 
 
 
© 2007 Otterbein United Methodist
Developed By Image One Technologies